Aging is no easy feat. It may be hard for most as this stage of life has with it a whole new set of challenges. And yet, as an essential part of nation-building, the government acknowledges the important role of our seniors. It does this by providing all seniors in the country a range of privileges and benefits.
Here in the Philippines, seniors can enjoy many different kinds of benefits and privileges. This is mandated by Republic Act 7432, RA9257, and RA 9994. RA 7432 is also called “An Act to Maximize the Contribution of Senior Citizens to Nation-Building, Grant Benefit and Special Privileges and for Other Purposes.” Some may even hit their senior years for many months and yet may not be fully aware of what they could get from the government.
Therefore, we at Blessed Home have thought of providing them a list of these senior citizen benefits that are enjoyed by senior citizens of the Philippines.
Senior Citizen ID
All Filipino citizens from 60 years old and above can get a Senior Citizen’s ID as mandated by RA7432.
To apply for a Senior Citizen ID, you only need to bring your birth certificate, most recent 1×1 colored photo, and a valid government-issued ID. These requirements must be submitted to the Senior Citizens Affairs in your local municipality. Normally, you will get your ID along with a booklet within the same day, and your ID must be laminated.
Benefits of a Senior Citizen ID include:
- 20% Discount and VAT exemptions on certain products, such as:
- Medical supplies and equipment
- Medical and dental services in private facilities
- Professional feels
- Domestic sea and air fares (Philippine Airlines, Cebu Pacific, etc.)
- Public land transportation fares (jeepneys, buses, taxi, Grab, UV Express, MRT, LRT, etc.)
- Hotels and restaurants
- Recreation centers and places of leisure –
- Funeral and burial services
- 5% Discount on certain grocery items
- 5% utility discount for water and electric bills
- Almost 50% discount in buffet restaurants
Other benefits include:
- Free movie screening every Monday
- Free parking in Quezon City malls
- Free medical and dental care, as well as vaccinations, in government hospitals
- Mandatory PhilHealth coverage
- GSIS and PAG-IBIG benefits and privileges
- Death benefits, minimu of Php2,000
Aside from these benefits, seniors are also entitled to express or priority lanes in public areas, government establishments, select private establishments, as well as public vehicles.
Being a senior is a milestone to celebrate, and the perks can be maximized for the elderly.
Meanwhile, if you need help caring for your senior parents or loved ones, get in touch with us at Blessed Home. We offer private, secure, and safe assisted living, nursing home, and adult daycare services.