Deciding to move senior family members to nursing home care facilities is not an easy decision. However, it’s important to make sure that you consider the following:
Questions to ask when choosing the right nursing home
Before choosing a nursing home facility, you have to check the following:
- Do they have the right licenses and certifications? You may ask if they have the right certifications or accreditations.
- Are their staff qualified? Make sure that their nursing home team or caregivers and consultants are also registered or licensed.
- How are the staff? You may visit a nursing home to get to know the staff yourself. Are they friendly and attentive?
- Is the nursing home facility adapting a partnership relationship? Do they actively interact and communicate with you and your elderly loved ones?
- Are the nursing home care facilities clean and well-maintained? Your loved ones are going to be here and you must ensure their comfort and quality of life.
- Are there handrails and slip-proof fixtures in the bathrooms and hallways? You have to make sure the facilities have everything in place to ensure that their residents or clients are safe.
- What is the ratio of the staff to the residents? Will your loved one be properly looked after?
- How do the nursing home care facilities ensure their clients’ nutrition? Do they accommodate special dietary needs?
- What programs do the facilities have in place to keep residents social, engaged, and stimulated?
- Are the facilities open to adding activities that your loved ones usually do? How flexible are their programs and activities?
Now, once you have chosen the right nursing home care facility for your loved ones, it’s not enough for you to just leave them there. You must also make sure that you also keep visiting.
This of course makes sure that you are looking after your loved one and that you can observe how well the staff is taking care of them. More importantly, frequent visits help make your loved one feel remembered, cherished, and loved.
Do you want to visit Blessed Home? Schedule an appointment with us by checking out our contact details below: